Money Tracker Forums > Banknote and coin enthusiasts > 5 cent coin

Thread: 5 cent coin

Post5 cent coin
Posted by enlilninlil 15 years ago (22 Jun 2008)
Who wants it dumped? as it is worth less than 1 cent in 1966, can't buy anything and the metal value is proberly worth more than the coin.

Post Reply | Reply with quote
Post5 cent coin
Posted by moneyman93 15 years ago (25 Jun 2008)
I think keep them, otherwise people will exploit this for price rises. I do see your point. As long as we didn't go and change all the other coins too like NZ, I'd live with it. I personally hoard them in a piggy bank!

Post5 cent coin
Posted by jaikumoney 14 years ago (4 Sep 2009)
I pretty sure the Royal Australian Mint is planning to drop them soon, I think at the start of 2010, not sure and there might be a new effigy of the Queen too. I can't wait to see the new effigy but so sad the little echidna wont be in for much longer.
Here is a link to the discussion:
http://www.watoday.com.au/national/5cent-piece-not-worth-a-cracker-20090523-bimh.html

Post5 cent coin
Posted by enlilninlil 14 years ago (12 Sep 2009)
I doubt it, there isn't any coins for 2009 in Cu/Ni as there is most likely plenty in stock, because of the recession. Maybe they are going to issue a new sized of coinage in which they proberly wouldn't issue 2009 coins?

Post5 cent coin
Posted by aegean 14 years ago (14 Sep 2009)
jaikumoney said:
I pretty sure the Royal Australian Mint is planning to drop them soon, I think at the start of 2010, not sure and there might be a new effigy of the Queen too. I can't wait to see the new effigy but so sad the little echidna wont be in for much longer.
Here is a link to the discussion:
http://www.watoday.com.au/national/5cent-piece-not-worth-a-cracker-20090523-bimh.html
i think they will remove the 5 cent coin however i think they will remove it on a date that is a little more significant perhaps? 2016? 50 years of decimal currency in the country?