Money Tracker Forums > Banknote and coin enthusiasts > In case of Republic

Thread: In case of Republic

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by moneyman93 16 years ago (29 Dec 2007)
If Australia where to become a Republic, what do you think should be changed with banknotes?

A: Just replace the Queen with the President/ Important person
B: Complete new $5 note (with afforementioned.)
C: Complete new series of banknotes.

Of course any other suggestions are good, and also some suggestions on who would go on new notes and perhaps what colour schem would be great.

Post Reply | Reply with quote
PostIn case of Republic
Posted by grouchy 16 years ago (4 Jan 2008)
How about Paul Hogan dressed as the queen.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by enlilninlil 16 years ago (7 Jan 2008)
D we addopt the Euro.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by perusalstein 16 years ago (29 Jan 2008)
I reckon the PM of the time should be pictured doing some task (say sweeping a pathway clean or pruning a fruit tree) not to demean them but as a symbol (ie. a new broom sweeps clean, or pruning off the dead wood) that we expect them to be a servant of the people, and that therefore their leadership and that of their cabinet is respectable!

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by enlilninlil 16 years ago (29 Jan 2008)
Hay you can't demean fruit pickers that way. Maybe the PM can be shown shoveling shit of something along those lines.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by perusalstein 16 years ago (10 Feb 2008)
Hey mate, when you read something, do the words actually mean anything to you or is it like you're looking right through the page to a distant haze?

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by enlilninlil 16 years ago (19 Feb 2008)
I don't know, what do drug do to your eyesight?

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by mattyfitzh 16 years ago (12 Apr 2008)
Definitely adopt the Euro. Not sure what the EU would say, but it would give weight behind adopting trans-national currencies. At least we should start up something like a trans-Oceanic (incl. Aust., NZ and Pacific islands) currency.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by enlilninlil 16 years ago (20 Apr 2008)
No addort the U.S dollar, then I can use my printer to print some $2 and $100 banknotes.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by moneyman93 15 years ago (31 May 2008)
I've actually put some serious thought into this, and decided on a theme, AUSTRALIA THROUGH THE AGES Some people are featured from earlier series, with some new ideas. The banknotes would still all be polymer with the same colours although some slightly altered, such as a brighter $5 note. These are the ideas.

$5 Current Australia-
Similar to current $5- Current President, and Parliament House
$10- The First Australians
Generic Aboriginal; figure, Captain James Cook (very similar to 1988 bicentennial, but more emphasis on James Cook.
$20- 19th Century
Lachlan Macquarie, Early Governor of NSW, Explorer, Caroline Chisholm (featured on Paper $5)
$50- Federation
Mary Lee- Significant figure in South Australian women being allowed to vote, one of the first places in the world. Henry Parkes- The so called father o Federation.
$100- 20th Century Australia
Sir Donald Bradman- What would Aussie banknotes be without a sport's star.
Eddie Mabo- The High Court's Mabo decision was a landmark in Aboriginal rights.

What do you think? Not enough of one sort of person, too many of another? Should there be a $200 and or $500 note?

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by jaikumoney 15 years ago (14 Oct 2008)
Maybe we should be like most countries and put a important person on the front and a prominent aussie landmark on the back

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by enlilninlil 15 years ago (9 Dec 2008)
Sir Donald Bradman get stuffed, I'd rather have a Transexual Queeny with no clothes on than this jerk.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by stair 15 years ago (24 Feb 2009)
moneyman93 said:
$5 Current Australia-
Similar to current $5- Current President, and Parliament House
You couldn't have a current president/prime minister on banknotes, it'd be free advertising for that politician. Plus, there'd be the potential to have to change the notes way too soon if someone only lasted one election cycle, ie. three years, or if someone died in office.

The only one you'd *have* to replace would be the $5, because of the Queen, and the flag flying on parliament house. Maybe you could have 'Republic of the Commonwealth of Australia' on the front.

mattyfitzh said:
At least we should start up something like a trans-Oceanic (incl. Aust., NZ and Pacific islands) currency.
New Zealand could join as a state, and anyway, the Aussie dollar is used in several Pacific islands already.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by enlilninlil 15 years ago (4 Apr 2009)
The NZ dollar is also used in the Pacific, their banknotes are better than Australia anyway.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by moneyman93 14 years ago (17 Jul 2009)
On the subject of having the prime minister/ president on the front, I thought that it would be a good novelty that if you have 5 fivers, they might have 2-3 different portraits.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by enlilninlil 14 years ago (3 Aug 2009)
I'd prefer people who don't openly lie.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by trex8 14 years ago (4 Aug 2009)
I would do away with ALL portraits, plants, wildlife and substitute our national emblems : Coat of Arms, Southern Cross and famous australian architecture.
Trex.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by aegean 14 years ago (5 Aug 2009)
enlilninlil said:
The NZ dollar is also used in the Pacific, their banknotes are better than Australia anyway.
Care to explain?

Well the only time the series of bank notes will change is when the Queen leaves her post... like When the paper series changes in the 1950's

As for sporting figures on banknotes. Well that just doesnt sit right... Although George Best was on the Northern Ireland's 5 pound note at one stage.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by enlilninlil 14 years ago (10 Aug 2009)
Pitcair, Cook Islands. The colour variation and structure of the N.Z is just better, compare if you want. The queen took office 1954 I think (dilligaf) and we have had two currency changers since then. They could have made the 1966 change with the same designed banknotes with different denominations, but they chose not too.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by katielizzy 14 years ago (2 Sep 2009)
I like the idea they did when they were trying to decide on the coins, allow designers to suggest themes in this case obviously the native animals won. I think our coins are fantasic and unique. So maybe the notes would have a similar effect.
Gotta agree that the current national leader on the notes isn't something I would like. The cost of making new press templates every 4 years seems like a waste of money that could be better spent else where. Also some, not all, of these leaders really don't achieve anything I would want to remember in a decade from now. Also I tend to see this as a symbol of tyranny as it's typical of many dictators to put their face on all currency as a matter of urgency once they take power. Shameless propoganda.
I think a collection of noteable Australians may be a winner- past leaders of politics, social rights movements, aboriginal rights perhaps some noteworthy entertainers, brilliant literary and scientific minds of our history maybe even a tribute to our fallen service men. Plus maybe just maybe boosting the profile of some of this countries greats might encourage more people to talk about what they've achieved and why it was necessary. Heightened awareness of social movements inparticular for me would be something I could welcome. Too much of history taught in schools focuses on the history of other nations the only Australian history I ever learnt was our involvement in WWI and WWII which now knowing a little bit more is a great disservice to the past generations of our very lucky nation.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by jaikumoney 14 years ago (4 Sep 2009)
should put prominent aussies on front, prominent landmarks on back, simple.......

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by blacken 13 years ago (11 Jun 2010)
I hate to necro a thread, but adopting the euro or us dollar wouldn't work. Currency needs to be more local for the world economy to work. But an Oceanic Dollar or something would be good. Maybe covering NZ, PNG, Indonesia, AU, etc. Might help promote a bit more free trade in the region.
On another note, it'd be good to keep the notes colourful. When I was in the US and showed them some of our notes, they loved them because they're strong and coloured boldly. It also makes it very easy to tell the value, even from some distance.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by trex8 13 years ago (14 Jun 2010)
Please, no more portraits of ANY person on our notes or future coins, most aussies would not have a clue who they are and could care even less, about them. I propose instead that we promote our national symbols on our new series of polymer bank notes (possibly due soon). Re instate the wording "COMMONWEALTH of AUSTRALIA" with the suitable legal clause and include our coat of arms on the obverse (front) with the southern cross and federation star, surrounded by depictions of our unique flora. On the reverse the heading could be RESERVE BANK of AUSTRALIA and depictions of our unique fauna and again, with the suitable legal clause.

Trex8.

Our coins ( again I think that a redesign and sizing is on the way), should retain the current designs for the reverse and to replace the Queen with our coat of arms.The reverse of 50c could be redesigned with a koala and the $2 coin changed to a bi metallic incorporating ther current design of an aboriginal elder at the centre of the reverse surrounded by aboriginal motifs on the reverse outer rim.

Just an idea that I have had for some time!

As for having a common currency in Oceana...an idea that has been around for some time. The Oz & Kiwi are used extensively througth the South Western pacfiic. If NZ were to adopt the OZ dollar then the Kiwis would loose part of their economic independance, as they would have to abide with Reserve Bank of Australia policies.

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by aegean 13 years ago (23 Feb 2011)
you would most likely have a simple note that has no head of state but simply the coat of arms...

but why would we have a republic? so we can be ridiculous like the USA?

PostIn case of Republic
Posted by moneyman93 12 years ago (24 Nov 2011)
Something else we lack is a scary warning to counterfeiters like they had on the old French franc banknotes