Money Tracker Forums > Feature requests > Validation

Thread: Validation

PostValidation
Posted by gimboid13 17 years ago (26 Feb 2007)
I'm wondering how much validation there is on note numbers. As far as I know I haven't entered an incorrect number yet, but there's always a first time. Most serial numbers have some kind of check digit on the end that validates the number. Does Money Tracker use the check digit algorithm or any other type of validation?

Also, is there any verification in case you accidentally enter the same number twice? I haven't done it yet because I check any notes I'm not sure about against the list I've already entered. Maybe you could have a message that asks you to confirm any duplicates. Then again, maybe I've just got too much spare time.

Post Reply | Reply with quote
PostValidation
Posted by andrew 17 years ago (27 Feb 2007)
Serial numbers follow a specific pattern - see the Reserve Bank website at
http://www.rba.gov.au/CurrencyNotes/Statistics/note_serial_number_info.html for more information

You aren't able to add banknotes that don't follow this pattern.

If you enter the same banknote twice, don't worry. The mistake will automatically be detected and the system should ignore the second entry.

PostValidation
Posted by nahir 17 years ago (1 Mar 2007)
I think there could be cases where you should be able to enter the same note twice. What happens if you enter a note, go out and spend it, and then at some later stage it comes back to you. There is a slim chance but a chance none the less especially if you shop at the same place all the time. In this case the note deserves double entry but would not show as having travelled at all.

PostValidation
Posted by end255 17 years ago (1 Mar 2007)
Well either a check box could be used to 'force' the note to stay put, or the system could ignore 'duplicate entries' made more than x number of days apart. Just an idea.

PostValidation
Posted by medic 17 years ago (3 Mar 2007)
Greeting for a sister money tracking site (whereswilly.com in Canada).

Just thought I would share ideas from our side of the world. In regards to receiving the same banknote: Our system works the same way yours does where you cannot re-enter or duplicate an entry (which prevents any cheating). If someone recedives a bill back they do one of two things:

1) Edit the usernote to indicate that they received the banknote back again or
2) E-Mail the administrator who can manually add another entry in on an exception basis.

Usually option two only occurs after a long while in between hits (the last one I remember occurring was 1 year apart).

Good luck & Happy Tracking,
--CasiBeyond/Medic

PostValidation
Posted by dvaey 17 years ago (8 Mar 2007)
I accidently entered a banknote on the system twice, but as different denominations. I was entering some $20 notes, and went to enter a $10 note but forgot to change the radio-button to select $10. I then changed the button to $20 and re-submitted it, and both were counted. AFAIK Im unable to remove the incorrect note that I added, and checking just after I added it, it did appear in my total note count.

PostValidation
Posted by gimboid13 17 years ago (9 Mar 2007)
Interesting that there appear to have been no $100 notes issued since 1999. I must say I can rarely recall seeing any of them in circulation.

PostValidation
Posted by poundtracker 17 years ago (11 Mar 2007)
im supprised that there isnt anymore than 350 - something $100 notes, i thought there would be more.

how can you retrieve your list of enties? i dont know how. does n e 1 no?

PostValidation
Posted by perusalstein 16 years ago (4 Mar 2008)
nahir said:
I think there could be cases where you should be able to enter the same note twice. What happens if you enter a note, go out and spend it, and then at some later stage it comes back to you. There is a slim chance but a chance none the less especially if you shop at the same place all the time. In this case the note deserves double entry but would not show as having travelled at all.
We have a shop in a small country town and twice in just over two months, 2 different notes have come back to us (that we've known of, as we don't enter every note that comes in). I was intrigued, but couldn't share the news as the system didn't allow it.