Money Tracker Forums > Spreading the word > Condition of $50 notes from ATMs

Thread: Condition of $50 notes from ATMs

PostCondition of $50 notes from ATMs
Posted by trex8 14 years ago (9 Nov 2009)
Since I have been entering my banknotes on MONEY TRACKER, I have noticed that about 30-50% of my $50 notes from ATMs are pre year 2000( e.g. years 1995-1999). Most of these notes are in excellent condition and appear in uncirculated or minor circulated condition. Does anybody have an explanation?
My post year 2000 $50 notes from ATMs have various conditions of circulation, from poor to with mostly year 2006 - 2008 being new/excellent.
Like to have some feed back please.

Thanks Trex8

Post Reply | Reply with quote
Posted by moneyman93 14 years ago (14 Nov 2009)
I notice from serial numbers a massive amount 50's were printed with the change to polymer- I believe the 95 prefixes reach V something- I presume many have been kept in stock- similarly, I have noticed that from the autopay machines at Safeway/ Woolworths, I have received brand new '05 $5 notes with consecutive serial numbers, meaning that they have been kept for 4 years; but where?

Posted by trex8 14 years ago (15 Nov 2009)
moneyman93 said:
I notice from serial numbers a massive amount 50's were printed with the change to polymer- I believe the 95 prefixes reach V something- I presume many have been kept in stock- similarly, I have noticed that from the autopay machines at Safeway/ Woolworths, I have received brand new '05 $5 notes with consecutive serial numbers, meaning that they have been kept for 4 years; but where?
Thanks for your reply Moneyman 93
I think that the note issue from RBA is distributed to various security firms, who then inturn service bank branches and ATMs and other cash dispensing machines. There probably is a reason why some older notes are "held in store" and" newer" notes are issued, it seems to me, an uneven way of distrubution. I would think that the distribution would favour the older notes "first" followed by later printed notes.

Posted by ay2016 5 years ago (4 Jun 2018)
trex8 said:
moneyman93 said:
Thanks for your reply Moneyman 93
I think that the note issue from RBA is distributed to various security firms, who then inturn service bank branches and ATMs and other cash dispensing machines. There probably is a reason why some older notes are "held in store" and" newer" notes are issued, it seems to me, an uneven way of distrubution. I would think that the distribution would favour the older notes "first" followed by later printed notes.
This seems to be the same with $100 notes, most I see tend to be from either 1996 or 1999 for some reason! Though most $100 notes are in good condition, there are not many that are really trashed, unlike $20 and $50s

Posted by ay2016 1 year ago (23 Jan 2023)
Yeah, 1995 was the first year of the Series I Polymer $50, so they were printed, from AA to VG.

Posted by aegean 1 year ago (15 Mar 2023)
Regarding 100 dollar notes only showing 1996 and 1999 years is because they only printed 100 dollar notes in those years. So there will not be 100s printed for every year. Though with the rate of inflation these days, youll see more printed each year.

Posted by ay2016 11 months ago (4 May 2023)
I know $100 notes were only printed in 1996,1998 and 1999, but at the time, I rarely saw the newer vintage OG Polymer $100 notes (2008, 2010/11, 13/14 etc.). 2017 seems to be less common as well.