Money Tracker Forums > Spreading the word > Condition of $50 notes from ATMs

Thread: Condition of $50 notes from ATMs

PostCondition of $50 notes from ATMs
Posted by trex8 9 years ago (9 Nov 2009)
Since I have been entering my banknotes on MONEY TRACKER, I have noticed that about 30-50% of my $50 notes from ATMs are pre year 2000( e.g. years 1995-1999). Most of these notes are in excellent condition and appear in uncirculated or minor circulated condition. Does anybody have an explanation?
My post year 2000 $50 notes from ATMs have various conditions of circulation, from poor to with mostly year 2006 - 2008 being new/excellent.
Like to have some feed back please.

Thanks Trex8

Post Reply | Reply with quote
Posted by moneyman93 9 years ago (14 Nov 2009)
I notice from serial numbers a massive amount 50's were printed with the change to polymer- I believe the 95 prefixes reach V something- I presume many have been kept in stock- similarly, I have noticed that from the autopay machines at Safeway/ Woolworths, I have received brand new '05 $5 notes with consecutive serial numbers, meaning that they have been kept for 4 years; but where?

Posted by trex8 9 years ago (15 Nov 2009)
moneyman93 said:
I notice from serial numbers a massive amount 50's were printed with the change to polymer- I believe the 95 prefixes reach V something- I presume many have been kept in stock- similarly, I have noticed that from the autopay machines at Safeway/ Woolworths, I have received brand new '05 $5 notes with consecutive serial numbers, meaning that they have been kept for 4 years; but where?
Thanks for your reply Moneyman 93
I think that the note issue from RBA is distributed to various security firms, who then inturn service bank branches and ATMs and other cash dispensing machines. There probably is a reason why some older notes are "held in store" and" newer" notes are issued, it seems to me, an uneven way of distrubution. I would think that the distribution would favour the older notes "first" followed by later printed notes.

Posted by ay2016 7 months ago (4 Jun 2018)
trex8 said:
moneyman93 said:
Thanks for your reply Moneyman 93
I think that the note issue from RBA is distributed to various security firms, who then inturn service bank branches and ATMs and other cash dispensing machines. There probably is a reason why some older notes are "held in store" and" newer" notes are issued, it seems to me, an uneven way of distrubution. I would think that the distribution would favour the older notes "first" followed by later printed notes.
This seems to be the same with $100 notes, most I see tend to be from either 1996 or 1999 for some reason! Though most $100 notes are in good condition, there are not many that are really trashed, unlike $20 and $50s